[lbo-talk] Jesus didn't exist....

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sat Nov 6 11:22:07 PST 2004

At 10:57 AM 11/6/2004, you wrote:
>Gee whiz! I thought that the "authenticity" we were talking about had to do
>with Jesus himself, not just any old historical (or ecclesiastical) body.

that's the thread; you're right. but the shroud has potentially an interesting past.

>recall also that the supposed "blood" marks on the shroud were shown not to
>be of that peculiar substance.
>
>Particularly humorous and/or revolting at the time of my viewing of the
>shroud display was the enthusiastic spiel of my docent in the church in
>describing in abundant detail the scientific studies that had been made of
>the physiology and psychology of the torture of crucifixion.
>
>Mike Ferro

sounds like good cocktail party chat. ;-) interesting how your church docent's obsession parallels the obsessions of censors and moralists with studying the "evils" of obscenity and pornography first hand. shades of mel gibson turning out a piece of S&M that obliterates any message of love, empathy and hope which may have preceded it.