[lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Nov 6 11:27:02 PST 2004

So you're comparing the present-day DP to MLK? ROFLMAO. Best one yet!

This is not a strategic debate. It's an ethical one. The fact you can't see that might give you a couple seconds of pause, since it's your pathetic party's total lack of ethics and ethical appeals that got your assess whipped.

Technocrat.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Nathan Newman Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 9:24 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <mdawson at pdx.edu>

-MLK denounced the Vietnam War because he knew the facts and couldn't sleep -at night if he didn't denounce it, damn the consequences on his own -movement. -Same point here. -It's atrocious for you to transfer the blame for your own blind following of -political losers onto people trying to have decent lives and simple human -rights. Shame on you.

Michael-- take your santimonious shit somewhere else. Folks like you are the enemy of civil rights and progressive values, because you like to masturbate in your own self-righteousness rather than engage in real strategic debate in a respectful manner.

The reality is that the NAACP and MLK, while they differed on exact strategies, were very conscious of picking targets strategically. They didn't just sue or march wherever they wanted. They picked targets based on which would generate success or public sympathy.

Look at the rightwing-- they recognize that pushing for immediate repeal of Roe v. Wade is a political loser, so they chose to push politically for banning just "Partial Birth Abortion", knowing they could push forward their agenda incrementally and avoid backlash from moderate folks.

And the result is that Goerge Bush is in the White House and anti-abortion and anti-gay rights judges will be appointed to courts across the country. And states like Ohio have now banned not only gay marriage but civil unions as well.

Those who care about the consequences of politics, not just the rhetoric, are the ones dedicated to civil and human rights in our society.

Nathan Newman

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Nathan Newman Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 6:24 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] And the Lesbians Shall Lead Us

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu>
> You are going to have to explain your position more carefully on
> this. Are you
> saying the specific actions in Oklahoma are dangerous or misguided?

-"Severely ill-timed." -That's what they told MLK.

And MLK repeatedly changed tactics when advised that a particular tactic was ill-timed. The idea that Martin Luther King, Jr. always picked the most militant, provocative tactic is ridiculous. Militants in the movement continually criticized MLK for his caution, while moderates criticized him for his boldness.

MLK is deified not because he was the most militant guy out there but because he got the balance right-- willing to fight when it made sense, but willing to back off when the backlash would lose more for the movement than would be gained.

-- Nathan