[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com
Sat Nov 6 15:12:01 PST 2004

Obama won big because the Illinois Republican Party has been in a state of total meltdown for a couple of years now. The state Dems won the last Governor's race because the incumbent Republican Gov was (and is on his way to the penitentiary because of scandal directly related to his office.)

The incumbent Republican senator from Illinois chose not to run because apparently he was too independent to be part of the Illinois Republican scene. (At the recent Republican national convention, Sen. Fitzgerald didn't even stay in the same hotel as the rest of the Illinois delegation.)

Following the Republican senate primary race which was populated by racists and goofballs, the party selected Jack Ryan. As you may remember, he was disgraced after disclosure of his divorce papers revealed that he had forced to wife, actress Geri Ryan to accompany him to sex clubs.

As if this wasn't enough, then the Repugs selected Keyes who isn't even from the state. Two former Republican Governors stated publicly that they wouldn't vote for him.

In any case, Obama did OK - but it was never a competitive race. Further, I've already heard some apprehension expressed by Dems locally because it seems that Obama is already trying to position himself

for a run at a national office.

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com