[lbo-talk] election fraud becomes SOP? (was No Stolen Elections!)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Nov 6 20:26:10 PST 2004

Marta writes:
>I don't understand why there hasn't been a constitutional challenge
>to the no paper trail e voting process. States such as Florida have
>a law allowing a recount. But how can you conduct a recount when in
>the case of electronic voting there is no paper trail to count. It
>seems to me that the lawyers needed to be involved in getting
>injunctions to prevent the use of the Diebold machines before the
>election took place. It's not too late to do that before the next
>election cycle.
>Marta

There was a suit based on the Fla. Sec'y of State saying that touchscreen machines didn't need to be recounted. The Fla. Const. says, I believe, in cases of 1/4% spread they're to be hand recounted, 1/2%, machine recounted. The ruling said, yes, touchscreen machines need to be recounted in these cases. Then the Dems (Rep. Wexler in this case) went back to court saying that there had to be a paper trail since recounting what the machine spits out again has nothing to do with anything. They lost that one just days before the election. So it's unsettled. There's also a bill in Congress to require a voter-verified paper ballot, but it's going nowhere fast.

Jenny Brown