[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Nov 7 08:52:43 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 12:05 AM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Let's go to war on our closest allies, that's a great
> idea. The main enemy is on the Democratic party left!
> All one of it in the US Senate, that is. Death to
> Progressive Democrats! Who needs to fight Karl Rove,
> Bush, Chgeney, et al when we can hammer at Barak?

The radical Left has a long and distinguished history of aiming its strongest and bitterest attacks at its moderate allies, going back, of course, to the nineteenth century European struggles. It's a question of different ways of understanding political action. On the one hand, you can see it as a kind of positional warfare in which you need all the help you can get, so you build alliances (tactical if not strategic) to take the high ground wherever you can take it, and gradually increase your territory.

Or you can see it as a sort of conspiratorial battle in the shadows, in which you are constantly being sold out and betrayed by the moderates who smile and proclaim they are your friends, but stab you in the back every chance they get. Therefore, it's best to play it safe by assuming that someone like Obama is not to be trusted a millimeter, that he will sell you out at the soonest opportunity, if he hasn't already. The thing to do is to huddle together with the very small number of folks you can trust absolutely, and, at the right moment, strike the decisive blow that solves all problems and brings on heaven on earth.

The latter approach worked fabulously for the Bolsheviks, which can be easily seen by looking at the greatness of the Soviet Union today. So it's bound to work in the U.S. today.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax