[lbo-talk] Washington Blade on the election

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 10:04:58 PST 2004

--- Michael Dawson <mdawson at pdx.edu> wrote:

> How much difference is there between you and Mary Cheney on this
> on, DSR?
> You seriously blame gay marriage for Bush's victory? Wow!

Michael, I am tempted to hurl back at you the same name-calling, twisted context replies that you've been dispensing lately, but I won't. It's not worth it. Sometimes you post things that I'm really interested in reading, and sometimes I gain a lot of insight from your posts, but lately, I've been more apt to just delete before I read, because you have been so rude to so many lately. That's too bad, because I really have enjoyed and appreciated much of your commentary in the past.

I posted the article from the Blade as information, another round of perspectives to share from a gay newspaper which feeds into local gay newspapers. I did not see myself quoted in it, and I did not comment on it. There are many positions in it. People post articles to LBO all the time for informational purposes.

I *have* posted my perspective on the subject, and I've also posted viable solutions for consideration. I've never said that the gay marriage initiative should be abandonned completely or was the sole reason the election was won by Bush; I did say that better strategy and planning would keep us from the brink of losing everything that we've earned. You, otoh, have twisted words and decided that what I've said is total hogwash and worthy of your contempt.

As for Mary Cheney, I have no clue as to what goes through her mind; I am only thankful I do not have to live her life, because I could not make the same choices she has made and live with myself.

Michael, I do not understand why you are so threatened by dialogues on this subject. As a lesbian with a partner and two children that I have had to fight for in family court, this is an issue that is near and dear to me. I've spent hours, days and energy walking blocks, organizing voters, monitoring judicial trends, documenting and reporting hate crimes and abuses and living the life, and I am not threatened by this dialogue or differences of opinion on the subject with, say, Brian on this list, because I also know there are other issues on which we are in dead set agreement (Andrew Sullivan, for one!) and keeping these dialogues open just gets us further towards common goals.

Name calling and twisting words do nothing towards those goals.

- Deborah