[lbo-talk] Barack Obama/Christianity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 7 11:59:27 PST 2004

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>...You were implying that if you were
>smart and well-educated, you would not be a Christian
>because anyone with half a brain can see that it's a
>crock of superstition -- Christianity is for the
>stupid and ignorant, you suggest.

For my part I will not suggest but say straight out that Christianity is for the stupid and ignorant. To speak just of my own alma mater, the Episcopal Church, I have watched with astonishment as the worldwide Anglican community has all but condemned US Episcopalians to the devil for appointing a gay bishop. I resent the medieval mindset that has resulted in this sacralized persecution of homosexuals, and I resent that crazy disputes like this distract attention from issues that God-fearing people *should* be focusing on -- such as the waging of senseless wars and the inequitable distribution of wealth in society.

More to the point, I think *all* religion in public life is evil. One of the inarguably excellent ideas of the founding fathers was that US government should be founded on an entirely secular foundation. Once religion enters the picture, policy debates turn from a discussion of material concerns, where compromise is always possible, to poisonous arguments over matters of faith, which are almost always zero-sum games.

I think people have every right to be as religiious -- as stupid and ignorant -- as they wish in their own private lives. But public life is another matter. Religion should play no part whatsoever in the political institutions of a democracy.

Carl