[lbo-talk] Barack Obama/Christianity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 7 15:11:51 PST 2004

>From: John Thornton <jthorn65 at mchsi.com>
>
>>For my part I will not suggest but say straight out that Christianity is
>>for the stupid and ignorant. To speak just of my own alma mater, the
>>Episcopal Church, I have watched with astonishment as the worldwide
>>Anglican community has all but condemned US Episcopalians to the devil for
>>appointing a gay bishop. I resent the medieval mindset that has resulted
>>in this sacralized persecution of homosexuals, and I resent that crazy
>>disputes like this distract attention from issues that God-fearing people
>>*should* be focusing on -- such as the waging of senseless wars and the
>>inequitable distribution of wealth in society.
>>More to the point, I think *all* religion in public life is evil. One of
>>the inarguably excellent ideas of the founding fathers was that US
>>government should be founded on an entirely secular foundation. Once
>>religion enters the picture, policy debates turn from a discussion of
>>material concerns, where compromise is always possible, to poisonous
>>arguments over matters of faith, which are almost always zero-sum games.
>>I think people have every right to be as religiious -- as stupid and
>>ignorant -- as they wish in their own private lives. But public life is
>>another matter. Religion should play no part whatsoever in the political
>>institutions of a democracy.
>>
>>Carl
>
>You simply cannot say belief in religion is for stupid people.

According to the First Amendment I can. Besides, doubt is supposed to be part of the religious experience -- that small nagging voice asking, am I really insane to believe this? And how can that doubt exist in Christian World USA, with everyone basking in a hot tub of religious self-satisfaction? Believe me, people of faith here in the land of the pious are going to turn into a smug pack of pharisees unless there are people of ridicule, such as myself, around to jeer at their credulousness.

Carl