[lbo-talk] Barack Obama

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Nov 7 21:22:32 PST 2004

At 08:39 PM 11/7/2004, you wrote:
>R wrote:
>>
>>doesn't anyone ever think of Bishop George Berkeley anymore?
>>
>>http://www.geocities.com/krinklyman2/berkeley.html
>
>Moi, I'd rather think of King Henri of Navarre

yes, S, but the question remains, who was king of france between 1590 and 1593,

1) cardinal charles de bourbon, catholic, the pope's choice and uncle of henri, proclaimed "King Charles X,", or

2) henri, then a protestant, rejected by most of france and declared ineligible by the pope ?

and why did the Comte d'Artois, two centuries later, choose to ignore the short reign of the cardinal de bourbon and call himself Charles X, rather than Charles XI ?

as Berkeley said, "He who can digest a second or third fluxion ... need not, we think, be squeamish about any point of divinity." -- from The Analyst

can King Henri of Navarre top that with "Paris vaut bien une messe" when he converted back to catholicism on the advice of his mistress after he failed to take paris by force?

i await your response with eagerness and anticipation. please remember, R comes before S in the alphabet. ;-)

>>Falwell/Robertson/Swaggert/Graham put descartes before des horse.

>>> "Mortals immortals, immortals mortals,
>>> living their deaths, dying their lives"
>>>
>>>Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 62

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge

is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.

-- Albert Einstein