[lbo-talk] Washington Blade on the election

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 7 21:41:01 PST 2004

Doug's directions? You have posted multiple messages saying that gay marriage elected Bush, and questioning those who want to get married as somehow sabotaging themselves. Your perspective is a classic "wait until your enemies can accept you" argument. That much is simply a fact. And I respect it, but I simply think it's wrong at many objective levels, including the present level, in which people's attitudes are rapidly improving.

Also: You asked why I'm peeved lately, and I answered you. Self-blaming gays. Head-in-the-sand pro-Israelis who shit on Arafatbut not on Israel, which is encouraging and enacting Hitler's policies barely 50 years after Hitler. Ultra-leftistslike CC and YF. The DP, most of all, which puts all decent folks in this self-destructive mode.

And: Where was anything I said about you ad hominem? I asked you hard questionsas you did me, and we disagree, though you seem ashamed of your own position, when pressed about it.

Finally: Many people on this list, including its proprietor, consider the argument that gay marriage lost the election to be far-fetched at best.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of DSR Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 4:57 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Washington Blade on the election

--- Michael Dawson <mdawson at pdx.edu> wrote:

> Well, three points, D:
>
> 1. The left just got its tiny corpus flattened, so it's time for a
> huge mea
> culpa by calculators like you. You've had 25 years to make your
> "go along
> to get along" schtick produce results. Draw your own conclusions.

Michael, you know nothing of my record. In fact, you don't know anything about me at all, but your ad hominem slurs just keep on coming, don't they? Those who know of my work in the gltb community down here would laugh at your accusations, since I have been a central critic of the "go along" movement for years since 1982 as a youngster in college, and I've been one of the out and proud foot soldiers along the way until the present and will be until my ashes are scattered upwind into the noses of those who would rather bury everything I believe. There is no "mea culpa" here.

> 2. You posted the gay conservative item for "information"?
> Somehow, I doubt
> that, based on what you'd said previously, and on how you must know
> that
> what you posted isn't news on this board.

Again Michael, you have no idea what is in my head, and you are, again in this instance, completely wrong. I find your comment to this very immature, since others keep posting similar questions to what I've raised. You've yet to address a single suggestion I made. Just attacks.

>Answer the question:
> Why do you
> dare to blame gay people for what just happened? That's twisted.

Answer: I am not blaming "gay people" for the loss of this election.

There is not one single person on the left who is without some responsibility for the Bush win, and obviously, whatever strategy that was used, or not used as I've suggested, didn't work. Please read my previous posts. Please, please learn to read everything someone has said before making unfounded ad hominem attacks. But Michael, you've pretty much proven my original point: even talking about developing a strategy or changing our emphasis draws accusations that I am a self-hating queer or threatens people. Someone opined on another list that "only Republicans and a**holes have strategies; we have action." That kind of thinking will not only keep us down; it will send us backwards.

> 3. The other item that's drawn my vitriol is one or two Jewish
> leftists on
> this board continuing their intransigence <snip>

Your problem with "one or two Jewish leftists" is not related to my posts and is not relevant to your attack on me.

It's unfortunate that you must "twist" what I've said to justify your rancor. Twist away; it really won't change a thing. I won't engage your posts with a response again, or will defer to Doug's direction if he wants otherwise.

Be well,

Deborah Rogers