[lbo-talk] Working at Wal-Mart, gloating about Bush's win

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 8 06:18:48 PST 2004

B. wrote:

>Of course, I, being the
>AntiSocial-Weird-WalMart-Employee, am sitting in a
>back corner, my knees tucked up under me, smoking a
>cigarette and hoping they'll leave me the fuck alone.
>Sure enough, they do, but they strike up a
>conversation about how happy they are that George Bush
>got "re-elected". One lady says: "I'm so glad! Now all
>our American jobs will no longer be outsourced!"

When you all buy & read Liza's book (Selling Women Short, just out from Basic this week), you'll discover that even among the women who participate in the sex discrimination suit, their political consciousness is a bit foggy, and their capacity to idealize WMT is stunning (many are outraged that a "good Christian company" could treat them so badly). And those are the activist women participating in the suit. Then there are the thousands who cheer at the annual meeting....

Doug