[lbo-talk] Draft 01

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Nov 8 06:44:52 PST 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

Trust the People. This is a simple axiom, because if change is going to come about it is going to come about through the action of the people.

_____ You ducked this question on PSN, so I'll try again here: just how did Mao put this dictum into practice. China under Mao wasn't exactly a bottoms-up society, was it?

Doug

^^^^^^

CB: Chinese Revolution and Cultural Revolution seem more trusting of the "bottom" than anything in U.S. history or do we fear the sting for middle and intellectual strata from the revolutionary dictatorship of the peasant-prejudices of the bottom up ? Given these revs, Mao's practice in trusting the real bottom, the poor and masses, seems better than any other leader of equal stature that I can think of.