Knowing your audience - was RE: [lbo-talk] Washington Blade

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Mon Nov 8 08:24:03 PST 2004

I agree with everything you say and agree that every political action should be somewhat concerned with its impact. I just want to add that there are possibilities to move large chunks of people to your side that should not be ignored either.

Massachusetts has fundamentalists and religious conservatives as well (many are Democrats). The judicial victory for gay marriage was followed by a good deal of positive press and legislative support (even though the inital polling said 54% favored an amendment to ban same sex marriage). On May 17th, the firmament did not tremble and people realized that it really is no big deal. It was impossible to ignore the joy of those same-sex couples who got married and all of their friends/families (it is also impossible to ignore the economic boost to the wedding-industrial complex).

Today around 50% support gay marriage, 25% civil union, 10% say either marriage or civil union is OK, and only about 15% are against. Our governer and other outsiders were widely unsuccessful in trying to use the issue against incumbent supporters.

The point is that things change and well-placed action changes it. I think this is what most "anti-gay Christians" truly fear. The only thing they have is the inherent conservative reation to not change things (my joke about conservative in Massachusetts have to support gay marriage now that it is law--"you cannot change the way things are"--has a point).

Jim