[lbo-talk] Act 2: Let's go blow shit up!!

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Nov 8 12:08:17 PST 2004

Yesterday, the battalion lined up in formation, each company behind its battle flag, for a motivational talk by the commander, Lieutenant Colonel Peter Newell. He told his soldiers to chase their enemies if they flee.

''You guys are going to run like gazelles," he said.

He told them to be aggressive yet careful. ''We don't want to level the city," he said. ''We want the people of Fallujah to understand what democracy is all about. In order to do that, they've got to have a town to reoccupy."

A chaplain offered a brief prayer. Then the troops fell out, headed off to the chow hall for a meal of spare ribs. As one soldier rushed away, he said to a friend, ''Now let's go blow [stuff] up!"

http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2004/11/08/jitters_before_assault_wearing_on_soldiers?pg=2