[lbo-talk] Carville picks up the "narrative" idea

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 9 09:07:08 PST 2004

How in the world can you build a coherent liberal party by being "anti-Washington?" That was and is a core trick of the ongoing Reagan Revolution -- blame the wrong enemy.

And "the purpose of a political party is to win elections?" Isn't the purpose of a political party to win elections in a particular way for a particular group?

This guy has got to go!

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jon Johanning Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 8:55 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: [lbo-talk] Carville picks up the "narrative" idea

Looks as though Carville has been reading the discussion of "narratives" on this list, judging from this Wash. Post story:

"I'm not in denial. Reality hit me," Carville said. "Let's take the greatest morality story of all -- we're born again," he added, in a play on words connoting both his view that the party needs a fundamental change, as well as the importance of evangelical Christians to Bush.

"We have to treat the disease, not the symptom," Carville said. "The purpose of a political party is to win elections, and we're not doing that."

Carville said that the party's concern about interest groups had resulted in "litanies, not a narrative."

"The party needs a narrative," he said. adding later that one possibility would to become "an aggressively reform, anti-Washington, anti-business-as-usual party."

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35224-2004Nov8.html>

For some strange reason, though, he also resonated with the "born again" thing -- wonder what his religion is?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________________________ It isn't that we believe in God, or don't believe in God, or have suspended judgment about God, or consider that the God of theism is an inadequate symbol of our ultimate concern; it is just that we wish we didn't have to have a view about God. It isn't that we know that "God" is a cognitively meaningless expression, or that it has its role in a language-game other than fact-stating, or whatever. We just regret the fact that the word is used so much.

- Richard Rorty