[lbo-talk] Carville picks up the "narrative" idea

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 9 10:57:15 PST 2004

John Thornton wrote:

>Am I being deliberately obtuse in not understanding the "need" for
>this narrative? I just don't get it. Why is it needed to win an
>election? Maybe I don't understand what is being put forth with the
>narrative idea itself. Someone want to explain to me what I am
>apparently missing because I think the narrative idea is a bit
>disingenuous and I don't think that is what others have in mind?

People don't understand wonky stuff. They don't connect policy to party or candidate in any detail. They need a one- or two-sentence story that excites them about politics. "America is in danger and Bush can save us!" Doesn't matter what the danger is - terrorism or lesbianism - it still works. Things like that.

Doug