[lbo-talk] Re: Understanding the conservative mind

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 9 11:37:38 PST 2004

``What has offended the Left since Marx, and American liberalism since Dewey, is the notion that moral authority should be derived from anyplace other than the state or "the people" (conveniently defined as citizens who vote liberal)...

Howell Raines fretted that the worst outcome of a Bush victory would be the resurgence of "theologically based cultural norms" without even acknowledging the fact that "theologically based cultural norms" gave us everything from the printing press and the newspaper to the First Amendment..''

--------

I don't have time to argue this today, but these two clips are great examples of the reactionary neo-con inversion of history. We are supposed to credit the feudal theocracy and divine right of kings with their own overthrow?

The above completely forgets the printing press and the first amendment were created to specifically liberate us from the domination by `theologically based cultural norms'. The use of `cultural norms' is an evasion, since the point was to get rid of egregious clerical laws and the aristocratic elite who claimed their power, wealth, and land ownership issued from god---and who were directly opposed to any `cultural norm' outside their own arbitrary will---a will they claimed as god's own.

Arguing over this history is ultimately futile, since it can be spun anyway that is convenient for reactionary propaganda, while it takes forever to correct. Nobody listens to the corrections.

Justin ask, ``Or am I being uncharitable?''

No you are being told the first amendment gives the bible thumping klan the right to take over the government, and that the invention of the printing press proves it.

So yes, it was generated by some neo-con program blather and strung together to fog the air...while these murderous motherfuckers massacre Falluja in the name of Democracy.

CG