[lbo-talk] IQ and politics

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 9 14:48:51 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, ravi wrote:

> i had a few outstanding questions for miles, the last time this thread
> came around. i do not think he responded to them, perhaps because like
> others he found the thread tiring. in my response to him, i had provided
> various pieces of information showing that the correlation between
> standards testing (which i used as a substitute for IQ) was very poor.
> some examples: boys scored better than girls in standardized tests, but
> girls do better academically (at the college level).

No, I agree that these tests underpredict women's academic performance. However, this doesn't support the claim that the correlation between standardized tests like the Stanford-Binet and college performance is poor (in fact, it's a healthy positive correlation, and that's true for both men and women).

Miles