[lbo-talk] Watch out for the cat droppings

oudeis oudeis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:49:08 PST 2004

I thought we were talking about left politics?

You want people to come along, but only after they assume their proper deferential position? You want people to follow your lead, while you mock and deride them? Brad too?

Is that how we are going to bring along the ignorant Carrol spoke of? By mocking them for their choices after they've finally had enough? Will you say, "Silly fools. We were here all along. You voted for the two parties. Now you've finally learned your lesson."

Carrol's concern about sandbox politics was that the rhetoric was useless without a social movement through which to communicate those ideas. Obviously. It was mentioned from the beginning. Alas, the Greens and other third parties have nothing on the table.

Perhaps what will happen is a social struggle *will* emerge from these discussions, here and elsewhere. It won't be under the thumb of the antiwar movement or the defunct Green Party. You may find yourself tagging along, trying to keep up.

Even if any LBO-talk subscriber crafted a good message, the Democratic Party would not adopt and promulgate it, but, regardless, most LBO-talk subscribers appear uninterested in joining the Green Party (where they can conceivably make a measurable difference) or building a new one (if the Green Party withers after the 2004 disaster). It's much more fun to play a Karl Rove or a James Carville! An enterprising game designer should come up with a new game called Spin, in which players get to play dueling Democratic and Republican strategists who try to outdo each other in fundraising, grooming candidates, messaging, designing attack ads, and so on, and sell it here. -- Yoshie