[lbo-talk] holy war

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:02:01 PST 2004

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Published on Sunday, November 7, 2004 by Agence France Presse
>Holy War: Evangelical Marines Prepare to Battle Barbarians
>
>... Between the service's electric guitar religious tunes, marines stepped
>up on the chapel's small stage and recited a verse of scripture, meant to
>fortify them for war.
>
>One spoke of their Old Testament hero, a shepherd who would become Israel's
>king, battling the Philistines 3 000 years ago.
>
>"Thus David prevailed over the Philistines," the marine said, reading from
>scripture, and the marines shouted back "Hoorah, King David," using their
>signature grunt of approval.
>
>The marines drew parallels from the verse with their present situation,
>where they perceive themselves as warriors fighting barbaric men opposed to
>all that is good in the world.
>
>"Victory belongs to the Lord," another young marine read.

I'm surprised they're not wearing T-shirts imprinted "1 Samuel 15: 2-3." (Viz.: "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember [that] which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid [wait] for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.")

And now for something completely different: "The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace."

Amen,

Carl