[lbo-talk] The Rule of Assassins Must End

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Nov 9 23:46:03 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> This is making me sick.

Back in 2003, I used to get these flashes of anger at the Empire every few days. Now I get them every four hours or so -- just the sickening realization of how far gone this place really is.

It's not just the fact that the Empire is committing mass murder. It's the shameless, naked *pleasure* it's taking in this murder -- the baying for blood, the howls of the oil-orcs, the sick racialized fury of a dying Empire, brutalizing as many people of color as it can.

And then, that rare, sweet treasure: rage. Rage against the monsters, against the lies, against the barbarism. A beautiful, life-preserving rage, which is I suppose a paradoxical love for what things could still be, as opposed to what they are.

-- DRR