[lbo-talk] Carville picks up the "narrative" idea

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 02:01:18 PST 2004

Wojtek wrote:

"I think, btw, that there is something about the American collective psyche that feels an undying attraction to this kind of "wild west" stuff - which foreign observers, like myself, view with a mixture of bemusement and disbelief. I mean, most folks who populate this country have their ancestry roots in the factories of New York, Baltimore and Chicago and coal mines of Pennsylvania. Only a small handful of them were cowboys. So if they are yearning for their roots, they should identify with workers and union organizers, not cowboys. This whole pioneer/wild west thing is 100% made inHollywood. I find it hard to understand why it has such a strong attraction."

Ironically, Big Bill Haywood, the leader of the Industrial Workers of the World [and the Western Federation of Miners before it], worked for a time as a cowboy in Nevada. He's one of the few American radicals buried in Red Square.

B.

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978