[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky/Sullivan

Turbulo at aol.com Turbulo at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 07:59:30 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/9/04 4:33:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org writes:

> > --I plead with any of you good people to get a transcript out to LBO
> > lickedly split...I don't have HBO...I'm dying to hear more about it..
> >
> > steve

I watched Friday's "Real Time" w/Bill Maher. Sullivan didn't debate Chomsky directly, but commented afterwards on a taped interview Maher played on the show. Maher asked Chomsky why he thought the US invaded Iraq, to which he replied that there were a number of reasons, all having to do with oil. Not only would American corporations be able to profit directly from the extraction of Iraq's huge untapped reserves, but conrol of Iraqi and Mideastern oil gives the US enormous leverage over other world powers. Sullivan made almost no attempt to refute any of Chomsky's substantive points. Instead, he became almost hysterical over what he called Chomsky's belief that the US is "evil," said that Chomsky supported the Soviet Union when it existed, knows what he's saying isn't true, is making millions of dollars off anti-Americanism, and took Maher to task for not asking Chomsky any tough questions and treating him as a folk hero. Maher replied that he didn't agree with Chomsky about many things, but that he had a different point of view, which should be respected. Sullivan said Chomsky's view shouldn't be respected. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20041110/713337a0/attachment.htm>