[lbo-talk] SEIU gets ready to bolt AFL-CIO

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 07:56:21 PST 2004

Joseph Wanzala asks:

> If this has been in the cards for some time, then isn't it
> because of the direction that the AFL-CIO has been
> going - and might it have occured even if Kerry had
> 'consumated his victory'?

That's almost precisely what I'm saying. I say "almost" because it not only "might have occurred," it definitely would have occurred, and on the same timeline. This was the intent regardless of who won the election.

> In other words if it is not fallout from the election it
> certainly is fallout from the posture of the AFL-CIO
> leading up to the election - which sort of amounts to
> the same thing...no?

No, at least not in the sense that you probably intend it. SEIU's critiques of the AFL-CIO go much deeper than anything that went on in the election. They are critiques of the structure. There's been a clear intent all along to have this fight after the election; what is perhaps surprising is the speed with which the battle has been joined.