[lbo-talk] SEIU gets ready to bolt AFL-CIO

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed Nov 10 08:27:17 PST 2004

Where are the direct rank-and-file elections of state and national officers here? Would this plan abolish the existing convention-election travesty?

This is not a rip on you Lacny. I really want to know. I would get involved if that were on the agenda.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of John Lacny Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:01 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] SEIU gets ready to bolt AFL-CIO

Er, at least, you'd get that impression from reading Steven Greenhouse:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/10/national/10labor.html?ex=1257829200&en=680 51124572dc9f8&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

There's also a website set up by SEIU:

http://www.unitetowin.org/

I won't give my own thoughts on this, save to note that the timing was decided before the election, and would have happened regardless of who won. So if the media starts saying that this is all "fallout" from the defeat, know that that's not true. This has been in the cards for quite some time.