[lbo-talk] SEIU gets ready to bolt AFL-CIO

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Wed Nov 10 12:01:57 PST 2004

Well, they better have enough allied unions who will split off with them so that they can effectively supplant the AFL-CIO. (And if they can do that, why split? Why not just take over?)

SEIU is strong in member numbers but doesn't have leverage with key production-centered industries. I don't see how such a move can do anything but weaken labor's hand. If one can imagine such a thing, post-November 2.

Internal politics aside, I'm bothered that labor seems to be just accepting the you're-just-losers consensus instead of pushing the possibility that the election was illegitimate. (And I can't imagine any labor program that wasn't to some degree contingent on the results of 11/2). I doubt that the thousands of union members who busted their butt for Kerry can be that sanguine--leaving the disturbing possibility that they're willing to go through enfeebling internal battles without ever taking on that Wizard-of-Oz operation that controls the Dems.

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "John Lacny" <jlacny at earthlink.net> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:00:50 -0500