[lbo-talk] Evidence of possible hacking the vote

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Nov 11 07:59:02 PST 2004

>One of the people involved in Dopp's analysis noted that it may be
>possible to determine the validity of the "rural Democrat" theory by
>comparing Florida's white rural counties to those of Pennsylvania,
>another swing state but one that went for Kerry, as the exit polls there
>predicted. Interestingly, the Pennsylvania analysis, available at
>http://ustogether.org/election04/PA_vote_patt.htm, doesn't show the same
>kind of swings as does Florida, lending credence to the possibility of
>problems in Florida.

Of course, they could also just count the freaking ballots. These Florida counties all use mark sense optical scan machines with paper ballots, and we do have a strong open public records law here. That's how the press was able to eventually count the 2000 ballots in Florida.

>Even more significantly, Dopp had first run the analysis while filtering
>out smaller (rural) counties, and still found that the only variable
>that accounted for a swing toward Republican voting was the use of
>optical-scan machines, whereas counties with touch-screen machines
>generally didn't swing - regardless of size.

All the Democratic counties in Fla. are more urban with the exception of a couple of blackbelt counties like Gadsden (just outside Tallahassee). They're bigger. They're more likely to have touchscreen voting because they were more attractive customers for the manufacturers of these machines.

I think they stole the vote here and in Ohio, mostly through boring methods like refusing people's registrations and making sure Democratic precincts had only a few voting machines. And yes, there are some very wierd numbers coming out of Ohio. But if they want to test this rural counties thesis they could file a public records request and look at the ballots.

Jenny Brown