[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 11 11:03:33 PST 2004

This is quite an important point, I think, close to the heart of the Abrahamic religions (and a good way to detect their decadence). Judaism, Christianity and Islam all hold idolatry to be the greatest sin. In the Hebrew bible, YHWH (a form of the verb to be/to become) is presented as a liberator, "who brought you out of slavery -- you shall have no gods before me." (YHWH is not a god.) Islam sees it as a sin to acquiesce to any power short of God (a point with some importance in the resistance to US imperialism), and Christianity says something similar: "call no one your father on earth, for you have one father -- the one in heaven."

Of course it's always possible for the Abrahamic religions, which begin in atheism (against the "gods of the nations") and anarchism (ancient Israel is an anti-state movement, a rejection of priest-kings), to slip back into being Religion, as Kierkegaard complained so bitterly. The drama of the Hebrew bible is provided by the unique institution of the prophet, who is not a fortune-tellers but who demands a return to the covenant from the worship of the gods -- the covenant that says the only proper worship is ethics, the establishment of a just community.

Agnosticism is as important to the Abrahamic religions as opposition to the gods. Aquinas, e.g, insists that God is "extra omnium ordinem entium" -- i.e., not a thing in the universe. As a good Aristotelian, he insists that God cannot be defined (no genus or species) and cannot be known.

--CGE