[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 17:49:24 PST 2004

Lance Murdoch:

> And how did union density go from 35% to 8%? We have
> the same leaders, the same organizations, even more
> pathetic than before, who are headed towards irrevelancy as
> unionization rates shrink to 7% next year. They pathetically
> made an all out effort to put Kerry in (instead of say,
> organizing)

Oh Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Do people like Lance EVER think before they post shit like this? It turns out that the unions that organize the most workers are also the unions that worked the hardest and dropped the most money on this election. So guess what?

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

At the beginning of a pending battle between unions within the AFL-CIO; when people are raising serious, practical issues and debating the real world; when the leader of a major international union is saying openly that the AFL-CIO is an outdated, broken institution cursed with leaders bereft of vision; when the most organizing-focused unions are openly challenging the federation and one at least is threatening to leave altogether -- why would anyone waste time trying to explain things to Lance Murdoch?

Come on, guys, I'm being serious here. This is my question to all of you (of the Lance Murdoch frame of mind): why do you feel bound to pontificate about shit you know nothing about? Ever consider that you may have something to learn from other people before you go running your mouth on the basis of superficial analysis and little or no information?