[lbo-talk] Norway's Judenfrei kristallnacht memorial

Mathias Bismo mathiasb at broadpark.no
Fri Nov 12 05:58:19 PST 2004

This is - pardon my French - bullshit. It was mainly a provocation from the anti-immigrant pro-Israel party Demokratene. I don't have much good to say about the organization SOS Rasisme, I believe anti-Israel slogans should be allowed in an anti-racist protest, as zionism is a racist ideology, but SOS Rasisme equated the racist oppressors (Israel) with the oppressed (the Palestinians) and disallowed both flags. SOS Rasisme has made a statement in English: http://www.sos-rasisme.no/tekst.php?teksti=171

That said, this has provoked an interesting debate on how to handle on the one hand the struggle against zionism and the struggle against racism. It is impossible even to question if the jews were victims earlier. However, does that justify current zionist racism? I think not, and that creates a contradiction which is not as easy as one should think in the first place. When the victims of 60 years ago now are the oppressors - how should one get this picture through without pissing of either side? Personally I've started to think about using another day than Kristallnacht as a day for protests against racism. Because one thing should be undisputed - you cannot ally with racists to fight racism. That would be like fucking for virginity.

-- Mathias

Internet! Is that thing still around?

Homer Simpson