[lbo-talk] The heal deal

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Fri Nov 12 08:25:46 PST 2004

"an election that came down to fewer than 200,000 votes in Ohio"

??????

I'm not saying there isn't and wasn't a lot of weird voting procedures, but how can anybody with liberal or left principles ever say the above, especially in this context? Bush did get a mandate, by millions of votes, and he did earn some serious political capital. Flushing away realism and principles worsens, rather than lessens, that problem.

The only honest and rational answer to that problem is to become smarter and work harder, to search for ways to get liberals and leftists out of our parallel ruts. Wasting time on unprincipled wild-goose chases about vote fraud is only going to distract from the real work ahead.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Charles Brown Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 7:39 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] The heal deal

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6965

The heal deal

by News Hits staff 11/10/2004

We are being told that now that this bitterly divisive election is finally behind us, it's time to let the healing begin. For the good of the country, it is said, we must unite behind the president elected to lead us and give him our support as we set aside our differences and forge ahead. News Hits says, "Screw that."

In an election that came down to fewer than 200,000 votes in Ohio, our once and future president is claiming a mandate to pursue his radically right-wing agenda...