[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Nov 12 08:35:43 PST 2004

John Lacny wrote:
>Christ, can you READ?

-Why do you have to be so damned nasty? We know how you feel about this.

Doug, your worry about ettiquette is reasonable, but you should be more bothered that folks like Lance are spouting completely untrue statements and then spouting opinions based on those fake facts. Do we really have to speak nicely to the leftwing equivalent of FoxNews? Is everyone entitled not just to respect for their own opinions but to their own false facts?

I think you should demand not just etiquette from folks but a reasonable basis of knowledge before people claim things are true that are just not. Everyone screws up on a fact occasionally, but when the fact asserted-- as in Lance's contention that all the SEIU locals are a single centralized local -- is the main point being made, and it's reasserted even after being corrected, there is some right to frustration.

Repeating a lie over and over again does not deserve respect or even politeness after a while.

So if you are going to rap peoples knuckles for impoliteness, how about a bit of discipline on those who spread clearly false information?

Nathan Newman