[lbo-talk] l'Orhee noir

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 12:09:02 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: Chuck Grimes To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 9:37 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] l'Orhee noir

``Supporting evidence: this is from a Nov 7 NYT profile of the Jungian market researcher Clotaire Rapaille...'' Doug

----- [...] Thinking back on it, I can see that my father (despite his taste for sweet German wines) suffered from the kind of agoraphobia I am thinking about. It is a kind of mindless, gut rejection of everything, except the quiet, smooth, homogeneous America of the comfortable suburban mind. Sure, there are lots of people and places, but the over arching sweep, is of a homogenous, smooth, fluidity with very little to disturb the at-home sensibility. In effect a Huddling Place, much as Simak's story, and many of his novels depict. That is what is threatened, that is the source of the fear and loathing. The Repugnant delegations in NYC this summer must have gone nuts with anxiety at the idea that the `real' NYC would come crashing into their hotels, their huddling places, like the roving gangs in Clockwork Orange, kicking heads in, and breaking into song, with choruses of Singing in the Rain.

I am going into these lurid details because I think they illustrate how to combat our foe. It more or less comes down to pushing an anarchistic diversity in their faces, and re-taking the USofA with a circus, a cornucopia of ideas and people, spilling out into the street in a dance of our own multicolored feathers, teeth, and horns, as in Orfeo negro, Orfeu do Carnaval, l'Orphee noir.

CG ~~~

"They understood that you didn't have to attack

the fortress anymore. You could just surround it,

make faces at the people inside and let them have

nervous breakdowns and destroy themselves."

-- Norman Mailer

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at yahoo.com