[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Nov 12 13:40:24 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu>

-I would shine the mirror right back on you, bud. The freedom of speech -includes the freedom to lie, unless the lie is material to a crime. And so -it should be.

"freedom of speech" is a silly phrase to throw around in this context. No one is suggesting that the government throw anyone in jail or censor them. The issue is whether telling untruths is a legitimate form of debate, a very different issue.

George W. Bush had the right to lie (or just stubbornly ignore the truth if he's stupid) about WMDs and 911. No one hear would applaud that kind of politics coming from the Right. Why should it be acceptable from the left?

Nathan