[lbo-talk] Where we stand today

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Nov 12 14:50:50 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Dawson" <MDawson at pdx.edu>

-Crap, Nathan, you asked Doug to muzzle Lance because he, according to you, -lied. You weren't just disagreeing or condemning his "lie." You were -asking Doug to shut him up because of it.

Actually, I wasn't asking Doug to "shut him up" since Doug never does that. I was responding to Doug criticizing John Lancy-- which is an exercise of Doug's free speech rights -- and I suggested he should criticize Lance as well for the false statements that had led to John's ire.

But frankly, even if Doug was censoring people, that's not a violation of free speech, since he's not the government. He can "edit" this list as much as any editor might want to on a letters to an editor page. Doug chooses very light editing which is all to the good, but no "freedom of speech" is involved in how heavy editing he does.

Nathan