[lbo-talk] Don't sweat the Evangelicals

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 13 06:56:00 PST 2004

>From: "Marvin Gandall" <marvgandall at rogers.com>
>
>On 'Moral Values,' It's Blue in a Landslide
>FRANK RICH
>New York Times
>November 14, 2004
>
>.... The blue ascendancy is nearly as strong among Republicans as it is
>among
>Democrats. Those whose "moral values" are invested in cultural heroes like
>the accused loofah fetishist Bill O'Reilly and the self-gratifying drug
>consumer Rush Limbaugh are surely joking when they turn apoplectic over
>MTV.
>William Bennett's name is now as synonymous with Las Vegas as silicone. The
>Democrats' Ashton Kutcher is trumped by the Republicans' Britney Spears.
>Excess and vulgarity, as always, enjoy a vast, bipartisan constituency, and
>in a democracy no political party will ever stamp them out.

This is rich, so to speak -- about as stupid an observation as Chomsky's notorious remark that the US is "incomparably more civilized" than it was 40 years ago.

What wonderful news! Our ability to wallow in "excess and vulgarity" remains untrammeled despite the left's catastrophic failure to inhibit America's global war making or the ever more inequitable distribution of wealth. I myself find US mass culture disgusting for the most part -- an unrelenting assault on human dignity and an appeal to what is most base in people. MTV in particular is a prime example of what Thomas Frank has called the "commodification of dissent" -- for all its Woodstockian stylistic flourishes, MTV is mere money machine that is about as dionysian as the Financial Accounting Standards Board. I see nothing to celebrate here at all.

Carl

P.S. Apologies for any chronological weirdness in my list replies. Al Qaeda has apparently wormed its way into Hotmail's servers, and I've been having endless headaches with email delays recently. At some point I guess I'll have to change to another email service ... or just send the list postcards (tasteful, of course).