[lbo-talk] So Long Mogadishu, Hello Fallujah

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 13 13:35:16 PST 2004

> ...The Washington Post reports that a psyops exercise is being conducted
> on the streets of Fallujah. The Americans are taunting the terrorists in
> their own language, appealing to their sense of manhood and encouraging
> them to come out and fight.
A psychological operations unit broadcast announcements in Arabic meant to draw out gunmen. An Iraqi translator from the group said through a loudspeaker: "Brave terrorists, I am waiting here for the brave terrorists. Come and kill us. Plant small bombs on roadsides. Attention, attention, terrorists of Fallujah."

Yup. As likely to work as the other Psy-Ops teams blaring AC/DC's, "Hell's Bells, " in Fallujah reently and back in April. Or the tapes of rabbits being slaughtered intended to motivate David Koresh to surrender, http://www.waco93.com/ . http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=295490
> ...Unable to advance farther into the city, an Army psychological
> operations team hopes a mix of heavy metal and insults shouted in Arabic
> — including, "You shoot like a goat herder" — will draw gunmen to step
> forward and attack. But no luck Thursday night.

The loud music recalls the Army's use of rap and rock to help flush out Panamanian leader Manuel Noriega after the December 1989 invasion on his country, and the FBI's blaring progressively more irritating tunes in an attempt to end a standoff with armed members of the Branch Davidian cult in Waco, Texas in 1993.

-- Michael Pugliese