[lbo-talk] Re: Anti-Zionism vs. Anti-Semitism

John Bizwas bizwas at lycos.com
Sun Nov 14 18:05:40 PST 2004

OK, this is a potentially good re-focus of the discussion (which didn't amount to any discussion). I'm not sure about the response, though.

Let me re-emphasize my points. One, this is not a new trend in liberal leftish journalism (see the articles from as far back as 2002 which I cited); however, no one anywhere has shown convincing evidence of social phenomena that would support the idea that this analysis of 'issues' is about anything real or important. Second, it is a bit ironic that the New Statesman, one of the main purveyors of the trend before the recent N.I., ended up being accused of racism when it tried to run an article to offset and counterbalance a journalist bandwagon trend it helped start (by a supposedly moderate publication out of Israel). Finally, I still don't see how alleged anti-semitism on the 'left' in the US, UK or Europe empowers Sharon (whereas the two US political parties and billions in aid, along with cooperation at the UN, and in military and intelligence, make it all too clear who empowers Sharon).

(Parenthetical aside and a way to avoid sending another e-mail: Now, as for the way forward, beyond the elections of 2004 and the humiliating defeat of ABB, might I suggest: not four more years of plotting 'winning' strategies for the Dems in 2008 (even if they do have a bit of a comeback in 2006); not four more years of debating what Negri, Chomsky and Tariq Ali think (and with Edward Said gone, this type of discussion is running out of material anyway); not four more years asserting Nader's narcissism for him.

Fugazy

-- _______________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10