[lbo-talk] AP photog described U.S. forces killing civilians in Fallujah

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 14:08:05 PST 2004

Leigh Meyers posted:

AP photographer implies murder by U.S. forces:

"I decided to swim . but I changed my mind after seeing U.S. helicopters firing on and killing people who tried to cross the river."

He watched horrified as a family of five was shot dead as they tried to cross. Then, he "helped bury a man by the river bank, with my own hands."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=251539

It seems increasingly likely that many of the dead (1,200, according to a grimly pleased American general) described by Pentagon press releases as being "terrorists" or guerrillas are, in fact, civilians.

The fighters are clearly much more mobile than families and of course, have various resources at their disposal.

This leaves civilians who're still in the city - probably among the poorest, the most infirm and the least well connected since they couldn't/didn't flee prior to the massacre - to huddle in the middle and get mauled as the combatants struggle to kill each other.

Eventually, the images will come out - uncensored - along with the horror stories. The American destruction of the "city of mosques" and massacre of many of its people will not be forgotten for centuries.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the immense scale of the blowback that's surely to come, with sinister majesty, this way at some point but it's difficult; it's too much, at the moment, to take in

But eventually, ready or not, it'll have to be faced.

.d.