[lbo-talk] Barack Obama/Christianity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 8 18:53:14 PST 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>On Nov 8, 2004, at 9:28 AM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>... If you let that toxic stew simmer for decades, it's really no wonder
>>that holy rollers are running the country now. The electorate will be
>>baying at the moon next.
>
>I think it's a gross exaggeration to say that holy rollers are running the
>country. I think that the statistics will show that the majority of Bush's
>voters were in fact not "holy rollers" (whatever you mean by that) ...

Nothing good.

>... and of course nearly half the electorate, and a lot of the non-voters,
>don't support Bush. The holy rollers have more political clout than they
>did some decades ago, but they are far from being in complete charge of the
>country.

I'd say the circumstantial evidence is strong that religious loonies are in complete charge of the country. Above all else, the election results represent adamant denial of reality -- belief that Iraq was responsible for 9/11, that Bush has alleviated rather than worsened the potential for terrorism, that the US can pile up endless external debt while telling other nations to go fuck themselves, etc., etc. That amount of fantasy is compatible only with a thoroughgoing religious worldview. Faith, as Mark Twain memorably observed, is believing what you know ain't so.

Carl