[lbo-talk] Carville picks up the "narrative" idea

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 21:47:41 PST 2004

>From: Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>
>
>... common people, peasants or laborers, everywhere dream of some
>fantasy-land where they are free from the burdens of their existence. The
>"Wild West" is that land, for a lot of Americans. So much so that I never
>quite understood why TV and film Westerns became unpopular.

Oversaturation, I think. By the time horse operas ambled off into the small-screen sunset, the networks had played out just about every variation on the concept. You could tell the genre had really hit the wall when they infused a standard Western with James Bond spycraft to create the 1965-69 series "Wild, Wild West."

An alternative interpretation is that Westerns never did stop being popular but simply escaped the confines of TV and film to become reality itself. After all, Ronald Reagan segued directly from being host of the Death Valley Days series to being emcee (governor) of California.

Carl