[lbo-talk] The elephant in the room: GOP schism

Kenton A. Hoover shibumi at marchordie.org
Tue Nov 16 18:28:46 PST 2004

I suspect that this is noise for the same reason that the various arguments about the democratic schism are noise: people want to be part of the winning side. And they'll give up a great deal to have that possibility. I don't see 'progressive Republicans' defecting or splitting to make that happen. And as we saw this last election as a clearly defined case of "good vs. evil" and little or no movement of the schismed left to move away from the Generic Candidate as part of a protest vote...