[lbo-talk] Fallujah: a picture of the triumph

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 16 19:12:24 PST 2004

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Doug Henwood wrote:
>>>Independent (London) - November 15, 2004
>>>A city lies in ruins, along with the lives of the wretched survivors
>>>By Michael Georgy in Fallujah and Kim Sengupta
> >
> >Wow! That will sure get the water running.
>>
>>Carrol
>>
>>Iraqi public opinion Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:33:28
>>
>>Christian Parenti, freshly back from a visit to Baghdad, just said on my
>>radio show that Iraqis aren't happy with the occupation, but most not to
>>the point of taking up arms against it. He also said that he was
>>frequently told: "Take our oil. You want it, take it. Just give us
>>electricity, water, and basic security." Later, off air, he said that a
>>(Coxian) U.S. pullout at this stage would result in total chaos. The
>>position of the Iraqi Communist Workers Party, one of the rare secular
>>leftist outfits left in the country, is for the UN to take over from the
>>U.S. - with no U.S. involvement at all. - Doug
>
>I suppose your point in dredging up a 15-month-old quote is to prove
>how wrong CP & I were, but, unlike you, I don't aspire to being a
>stopped clock. When I interviewed CP last week, he said that there
>was considerable good will towards the U.S. in the early months
>after the invasion - a lot of Iraqis really hated Saddam Hussein,
>you know - but that has since turned into the opposite, thanks to
>brutal treatment and failed reconstruction. Check out CP's excellent
>new book, The Freedom, for more.
>
>Doug

Didn't you and Christian know that Washington would be of necessity destroying Iraq more than reconstructing it? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>