[lbo-talk] Condomleeza Rice

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:36:49 PST 2004

Chris:
> I saw her on Russian TV when she was here a while ago.
> She speaks Russian abominably badly. "Uh, ya, uh,
> ochen rada, uh" (wait think, what's the verb "to be"
> in Russian, "b"-something, oh I remember!) "byt'
> zdes'!" You'd think someone supposedly an expert on
> Russia would be able to speak at higher than a
> first-grade level.

That is not even idiomatic Russian, but a word-for-word translation of the English phrase. Would you think that a person of average intelligence and sensitivity would memorize a few stock phrases like that is she wanted to impress her hosts? Even is she does not speak Russian, somebody on her staff most likely does, and even if it does not, it is not that difficult to find someone who does. That tells you something about the mind set of US policy makers.

Wojtek