[lbo-talk] Fallujah: a picture of the triumph

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 17 15:02:37 PST 2004

Doug wrote:
>>You and Parenti were wrong, horribly wrong. That kind of false
>>dependence on passive opinion (as opposed to action) in Iraq and of
>>the ability of left-liberals to influence the u.s. government to do
>>good things seriously fucks up left thought and action.
>
>That wasn't our position at all, and I don't know where you're getting this.
>
>And if "left-liberals" (though both CP & I consider ourselves
>Marxists) can't influence the USG, what the hell could the handful
>of people like you do?

It's not a "handful of people" who want to bring the troops home, though. The most recent polls say 40-54% want to bring the troops home, rather than keeping them in Iraq "until there is a stable government there" or "until the situation has stabilized" (cf. <http://pollingreport.com/iraq.htm>).

I don't know why you ignore opinion polls of Americans that show results that contradict your thinking and welcome opinion polls of Iraqis that support your conclusion, though any sensible person would consider polls of Americans would be far easier to conduct and far more reliable than polls of Iraqis, given that Americans do not live in a war-torn country under the foreign occupation while Iraqis do. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>