[lbo-talk] Cambridge city church officials don't want The Damned

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 19:22:22 PST 2004

Punk geezers The Damned were invited to turn on the Christmas lights for Cambridge city, but it's outraged some religious leaders.

"It is not appropriate for Christmas," said Reverend Stephen Leeke, of St Martin's Church in Cambridge. "They are a punk rock band with very doubtful lyrics."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cambridgeshire/4019459.stm

----

Lyrics the religious folks didn't like:

I've got nothing against church Only people who go there and show they're Plain ignorant and don't understand a congregation at weekends won't change their behaviour

So many people are weak enough to have to seek answers from the peddlers of hope I should know I had to go there myself Not since the day I became antipope

Religion doesn't mean a thing Its just another way of being right wing I think sex films are okay I don't dig that pope no way

--The Damned, "Anti-Pope," 1979

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978