[lbo-talk] Condomleeza Rice

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 20:39:46 PST 2004

> Carrol Cox wrote:
> It never bit T. Roosevelt, who might be labelled the "Luzon Monster," on
> the butt. How many people even now know anything about the ghastly
> pacification of the Philippines under McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft?

Both my civics and history teachers in the 11th grade at Rio Mesa H.S., in Oxnard, Ca. spent a bit of time enlightening our classes on this back in 1977. Millions have read Howard Zinn and Gore Vidal on the ghastly pacification of the Philippines under McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft. 10000x more than read Unity or Forward from LRS.

Oxnard, in Ventura county, back in the 40's and 50's was one of those towns with sign that said, "No dogs or Mexicans need apply.

By the late 60's, Mexican-Americans and Filipinos were the mainstay of UFW organizing there.

Should get around the reading this, Tomás Almaguer, "Racial Domination and Class Conflict in Capitalist Agriculture: The Oxnard Sugar Beet Workers' Strike of 1903," in Working People of California, ed. Daniel Cornford (Berkeley, CA, 1995), 183–207.

-- Michael Pugliese