[lbo-talk] End of Black Reconstruction (was Why I Hate Courts -- orhow judicial review destroyed the country)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Nov 18 09:17:30 PST 2004

End of Black Reconstruction (was Why I Hate Courts -- orhow judicial review destroyed the country)

Nathan Newman

I'm not sure what is gained by using a term that is poorly defined in the modern era. At the federal level, it's not really accurate, since the Klan-based terror was in opposition to federal power. As for the state governments, why not just call them "terrorist-backed states." It has a hell of a lot more resonance in modern vocabularies.

^^^^^^^

CB: Not so sure the term "fascism" is poorly defined in the moderen era: It is not more poorly defined than "terrorism" in the modern era, however, I would say use both: use "terrorist" and "fascist". I'm especially thinking about in the discipline of history there should be an acknowledgement that the open TERROR of post-reconstruction was of the same historical character as European fascism in its lesser forms in Italy and Spain. "Fascism" has a damning connontation that should be attributed to the US.

I don't think the federal U.S. should be excused. As the discussion on this thread shows, there was a crime of omission on the part of the feds to allow fascist terror in this period. The largest sections of the KKK were in Indiana at some point in the 1920's. There was open terrorism against Native Americans in this period as well. So, the geographical spread is pretty wide.

Americans should have to face the fact that their history has included fascism/open terrorist rule. What might be gained is whatever is always gained from any historical truth and accuracy - same type of thing that is gained by whatever truth your article reveals about that historical period. If Post-Reconstruction is important to talk about at all , then it is important to place it in correct and accurate relation to other historical periods and places.