[lbo-talk] End of Black Reconstruction and the Paris Commune

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 19 09:10:07 PST 2004

Louis Proyect wrote:

>Nearly everything I read persuaded me that the Northern and Southern
>bourgeoisie saw eye to eye when it came to putting an end to
>Reconstruction. Basically, the retreat was part of an overall shift
>to the right under the impact of a rising tide in the class struggle
>internationally.
>
>Despite the liberal interpretations of the end of Reconstruction, we
>can see close class affinities between the Northern bourgeoisie and
>its purported deadly enemy, the plantocracy, revealed in a number of
>places. At its best, the Northern elite had *no interest* in
>creating a class of yeoman farmers in the south from the emancipated
>African population. While swearing allegiance to free labor, free
>soil was another matter altogether.

The Northern elite feared that Blacks, if allied with poor white farmers and workingmen, would go the way of the Paris Communards!

Take a look at the following reviews of Heather Cox Richardson's _The Death of Reconstruction: Race, Labor, and Politics in the Post-Civil War North, 1865-1901_ (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2001):

Even as the Fifteenth Amendment was ratified, reports from Louisiana and South Carolina indicated that politics by ex-slaves challenged property rights and proper government in ways reminiscent of the oft-reported horrors of the Paris Commune. In the context of northern fears of labor unrest, Richardson argues, white northerners even interpreted white supremacist massacres as justifiable defenses of the social order. Efforts to secure national civil rights protections seemed to demand an expanded federal government that would rely on freedpeople's votes while turning them into its subservient wards. The Republicans' resulting fear "that the mass of African Americans hoped to use the national government to attain prosperity," instead of relying on their own hard work, rendered northerners unwilling to rescue their onetime southern allies from Democratic terrorists. Thus the disfranchisement and segregation of black southerners proceeded without substantial northern resistance. 2 . . . (Stephen Kantrowitz, "The Death of Reconstruction: Race, Labor, and Politics in the Post-Civil War North, 1865-1901. By Heather Cox Richardson" [Book Review], _The Journal of American History_ 89.3, December 2002, <http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jah/89.3/br_44.html>)</blockquote>

This is a big topic, and to make the job manageable, Richardson focuses almost entirely on northern newspapers and opinion makers: she follows the trajectory of the northern discourse about the nation's political economy between 1865 and 1901. Having fought a war for free labor, Republicans were committed to the South's transformation into a free labor society and were drawn to the newly emancipated slaves as ideal free laborers: workmen who "worked hard and skillfully, lived frugally, saved their money, and planned to rise as individuals through their own efforts" (pp. 7-8). These "good" workers, who believed in the harmony of interests between employees and employers, stood in sharp contrast to bad workers: those who allied with the Democratic Party, believed that "polarizing wealth meant the creation of economic classes locked in inevitable conflict" (p. 8), and looked to the federal government for help in solving their problems. 2

When recalcitrant southern whites interfered with the South's transition to a free labor society, Republicans concluded that the federal government would have to assume an active role in the process. Republicans passed civil rights legislation and the Fourteenth Amendment and then fought for universal male suffrage, all to ensure the protection of the freedmen's economic rights. But Republicans' commitment to black male suffrage evoked Democratic complaints of corruption and empire building, and the freedmen's political activism, viewed in the context of increasing labor unrest in the North, engendered Republican worries that enfranchising black men would "harness the government to the service of disaffected workers, who hoped to confiscate the wealth of others rather than to work their own way to economic success" (p. 82). In South Carolina, a convention attended by ex-Confederates protested new taxes and accused black legislators of plundering property holders, fueling northern concerns. In 1871, Horace Greeley chided "lazy" blacks (p. 99) who were unwilling to work, drawing a parallel between the Paris Commune and the South Carolina freedmen. 3

Though not all blacks fit this category -- Republicans praised those blacks who achieved success in an individualistic fashion -- an image of "an uneducated mass of African-American voters pillaging society was one of the most powerful ones of the postwar years" (p. 118). Increasingly, Republicans "read the Northern struggle over political economy into the racial struggles of the South" (p. 94) -- including the campaign for a civil rights bill and the 1879 black exodus -- and the debate over Reconstruction was recast as a debate over state action, individualism, and the American way of life. By the 1890s, it was clear to northerners that their faith in the freedmen as free laborers had been misplaced, and virtually all black activism had come to symbolize the threat that European-style class conflict posed to American individualism. Thus northerners who hoped to preserve traditional American values accepted black disenfranchisement and came to believe that blacks were "bound by race into permanent semi-barbarism" (p. 224). 4 . . . (Melinda Lawson, "Heather Cox Richardson. The Death of Reconstruction: Race, Labor, and Politics in the Post-Civil War North, 1865-1901" [Book Review], _American Historical Review_ 108.5, December 2003, <http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/ahr/108.5/br_46.html></blockquote>

Cf. Heather Cox Richardson: <http://www.umass.edu/history/faculty/richardson.html> _The Death of Reconstruction: Race, Labor, and Politics in the Post-Civil War North, 1865-1901_: <http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/RICDEA.html> -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>