[lbo-talk] Deconstructing Christian Republican Cults (was Proyect on Nathan Newman and Reconstruction )

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Nov 19 09:52:39 PST 2004

This is how the GOP gained it's current base: finding allies and converts (ahem, some, quite literally "converts") and expanding the base, e.g., Franks' "Kansas" model, to include people sold on a false dream that eventually works against them.

The demise of this base may begin with the more fanatical element "smoking out heretics," per Doug's observation, or when Americans finally decide that the "values" so popular now are too inconvenient.

My money is on inconvenience.

-Deborah

^^^^^^^

CB: In terms of Left attitude to rightwing Evangelists, we might investigate and research "backsliders". What are the experiences and problems that lead to religious zealots becoming disillusioned with and leaving this Republican cultism ? Perhaps some of the methods developed by cult deprogrammers in the last thirty years can be applied to the current crop of Christian Republicans. I bet some sociologists have already started to collect this data. Left anthropologists might write ethnographies on this cult-ure. We need a "Project Deconverted". The idea would be to identify the contradictions that burn out Republican Cult members, and develop ways to purvey them, reproduce them, in larger numbers of cult members. Some of the reverse "Pauls" who arise may become very effective counters to Christian counterrevolutionaries, as they will be conscious of the Cult's most important internal contradictions.

The goal would not necessarily be to find or stimulate large numbers of deconverts, except in the looonnnggg run. There might be degrees and grades of deconversion.

Relatedly, I have started to listen to rightwing Christian radio regularly. WMUZ 103.5 FM, which ferociously promoted Bush in the election. On one talk show "episode" of "Fearlessly Defending the Faith", for which the question of the day was "What bugs you about government ?" , the first caller, a seemingly regular white lady, was bugged that we pay for the President's flights on Air Force One. The announcer tried to slide it over to relate it to the election, but she hadn't said anything about the election. She just didn't like paying for the President's airplane rides. Next caller was a black man from Detroit. He spoke in favor of Reparations for Black people. There was some discussion at length,not unfriendly from the announcer , who observed minimal talk-show courtesy. History of slavery and racism were discussed on this rightwing outlet. Then the caller said when he was in the suburbs, white people look at him like he is not human. (How you like that moral question , buddy ?). The final caller in my sample, was a white woman. She said the Patriot Act was a violation of our God given Constitutional rights and that it might be used against home schoolers or some other libertarian conduct ,falsely alleging terrorism. She said throw the whole thing out. Announcer tried to say cut out only parts of the Act.

The revolution will not be televised , but it will have its talkradio stations.